Advisory from Sen. Henry Stern for workers without W-2 forms applying for unemployment:

For those of you who have not yet submitted your unemployment claim, please do so immediately by visiting the EDD website.

If you are sole proprietor, gig worker, or an independent contractor and have not submitted a claim:

  • Fill out the unemployment application using yourself as both the employer and employee. 
  • Enter “0” where the form asks for W-2 wages. 
  • If there are additional amounts you cannot determine, enter “0” on the form and submit your application. 

Following these steps will ensure that your application is in the system. Although your claim may initially be rejected, EDD will have it on file and be able to re-process your claim once the federal benefits are launched.